Good tools are expensive and a decent pair of wire strippers can set you back a kings ransom, and by decent I mean a pair that you can use with one hand, will just grab the end of the cable and strip without too much pre-adjustment, not damage the metal inner conductor, and work pretty much every time.
If you want to find out just how much a pair can cost, checkout some of the bigger suppliers like RS and Farnell.
Well, all is not bad news. Rapid Electronics have some Abeco Micro Strippers on offer (Part number 86-0325) for less than £20 including VAT. I’ve had an identical pair of these for a while now (and paid a heck of a lot more for them at the time) and they are perfect for Hobby Electronics. They are a little bit smaller than the standard full size pairs which makes them ideal for use in tight spaces. They will happily work with common 10/0.1 stranded hook up cable and the 1/0.6 solid core preferred by breadboard users. They will of course also work with larger gauge wire as well.
They are supplied in a little plastic case, with three pairs of gripping pads and a small adjustment screw-driver.
I would suggest if you don’t have a decent pair or wire strippers (or your just looking for a second pair), whilst they are available at this bargain price you invest. My larger pair that I’ve used almost every day for 15+ years are still going strong.
Here’s the technical blurb:
· Self adjusting over the full range
· Small enough for closely packed assemblies
· One hand operation allows use over long periods without discomfort
· Incorporates a cutter which will cut wires up to a maximum of 1.5mm²
· Supplied with three pairs of differently serrated gripping pads to suit various insulation materials without damage
· Replacement jaws available
· Weight 76g
· Dimensions 155 x 80 x 14mm